Forum: Vue

Subject: Nice picture comments and harsh critics

Tintifax opened this issue on Oct 14, 2003 ยท 24 posts

Djeser posted Wed, 15 October 2003 at 1:37 AM

Good points, all, and Yves, you're right; we could write a thesis! I suppose I think about several things with regards to comments and critiques in the galleries: 1. Comments do not equal critiques. Just because someone has comments enabled doesn't necessarily mean they want input, advice or criticism as well. 2. Someone asks for help? Advice? Critique? It costs me nothing but a bit of time to re-look at the image, think about it, and offer a suggestion or two. If I don't have a suggestion? Then a comment maybe. 3. Bravo, Walther, on the "give and take". We've talked about this before. I feel quite strongly about this. Give a little...get a lot! At least, that's what's happened to me and others here. I was shy at first, been at this site a couple years before posting my first image. Got a couple of comments on first few images, but once I started posting in the forum, and posting comments on others' images, people seemed more willing to look at my stuff and leave me feedback. 4. Want to offer advice, suggestion, critique? Consider doing it in an IM. I am constantly IMing newer gallery posters to ask them to optimize images below 300kb. Just because RR limit is 500kb on images doesn't mean an image has to be that big! Most of the world doesn't have DSL...I do not look at images that large because it takes me too long to view them. I've also offered help or suggestions by IM so that it may be taken in a less "harsh" light, if harsh is even the word. But being constructive at all times. None of the "this pic sucks" stuff. That is just ignorant and rude. 5. Do I look at every pic in the gallery? Nope. I don't. For one thing, often I just don't have the time. Is it 500kb? See point 4. Is it huge in size, unlikely to fit on my screen or at least come close? Does the thumbnail look a bit interesting to me? As far as E-K goes, he has some personal issues. I feel bad for that. But a lot of us do. That is no excuse to be rude and demanding to people, especially to troll the photo Walther is talking about. If he wanted criticism, and was prepared to take it, he should have asked directly rather than had a tantrum in the gallery, imvho. Sorry...didn't mean to write a book!

Sgiathalaich