Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Yet another "is it art?" thread.

PJF opened this issue on Oct 16, 2003 ยท 57 posts

Riddokun posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 7:12 PM

well afaik i never asked myself the question about "art" in my poser use.. there are many peopel here that, in my own point of view, create ART with poser, because there is both skills (that i lack or yet need to learn), mastery (in those skills) and sensitivity, emotion or imagination in works i saw.. i also saw many great works that are respectful due to technics and skills, yet lack a bit of imagination, originality or sensitivity (again, according to my needs/standards, that may be a bit highs), yet i respect it too, and i think even mastery of skill, craftmanship is an art, aside from pure creativity. some say cooking is an art.. well what do we do in poser ? we put in some reagents/ingredients, and we use our skill relative to the media/software (sklls in posing, lighting, poswroking, etc) as a cook chief masters the heat time, the tools etc... so here i see many ART pieces made with poser, i see many "craftmanship" pieces too, and i see other things that lak sometime technics (i do lck technics myself so i can recognize it) yet carry either a feeling or a message, maybe it is art too ? i use poser as an hobbyist, and as a total newbie regarding skills in digital arts and tools. But i never ask mysel" am i doing art" ? i dont care, for me poser is a "media", a way to express my ideas, my feelings, or my imaginary world of mine. Right now, i have a handful of totally unartistic, unskilled but very humorous pictures ideas to make with posers... humor is sometime an art, or it is pure madness and cheer laugh.. i dont think the creator can label his work as art, art is seen by the eye of viewer. I saw pictures of friends (non poser, classic pencil) that they did not value as art themselves but that reallt moved other people and thus labelled art. i too had a problem with a text/short story i wrote, simply for killing time and try to carry my ideas and feelign as acuratly as possible on a paper with words. I did not valued the artistic value (were there a value after all) of my art, simply a "dejection" (well a poo :) of my spirit, something i had just to let out :) the only goal was that people who may read can experience the feelings i had myself in head in the more faithfull and accurate way(though i never show this, people find it by chance/hazard, i do not display on purpose). But once one person that was visiting me caught the paper while i have my back turned and told me it was a great piece of art and it reminded her of some other famous work (that i did not even read, so no hidden influence) and i should make more, show it, and the like.. i told her i never had pride in displaying my poo to the world :p now if someone like the smell of it, it's all his problem :) from what i learned, art only exist on the viewer's eyes, not the creator (unless being overly proud of oneself and a bit arrigant maybe of too self confident), and art often comes unexpected.. Try to force yourself to MAKE ART, most of the time it will fail. Try to simply let things out of your mind in a sincere way, and it may be art for someone else, but hardly for you :) question: would you tell that a picture featuring a girl cladded in a pink and strawberries swimsuit, riding a giant toonized strawberry with angry eyes and big foots, yelling "hayaaaa silver" could be called art ? i dont, but i stil am making such a picture (?!) so... who cares ? What i care is that i manage to get it look the way i have it in mind... if not, i hope other people will have enough imagination to overcome the crudeness of it and still see it the same way i did... You would rather call it madness/insanity, but please dont tell people in white blouses where i do hide :)