Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Photo realism debate!!

N1PPON opened this issue on Oct 20, 2003 ยท 62 posts

ronstuff posted Mon, 20 October 2003 at 2:10 PM

This is good artwork no matter how you look at it. It is creative, evocative and very well executed. I don't think too many people would argue with that. The choice of tools used to produce artworks are purely at the discretion of the artist. The final result - whether realistic or not - is also purely the vision of the artist. So, the real debate is not about photorealism or whether this is art or not, but whether this type of work belongs in a Poser Category. As some have pointed out already, considering the amount of heavily postworked images that are currently in the Poser category, I believe that this work is just as appropriate as those are (and even a welcome releif as Zarabanda suggests). On the other hand, a few people (myself included) who enjoy the challenge of creating realistic images in Poser without the use of postwork have found that there is really no unique place here at Renderosity for our work. A place where we can go and view the unblemished Poser work of others, learn from them - be inspired by them and have our own work compared to work of a similar nature. One would think that such works belong in the Poser category (because that's precisely what it is) - but the Poser gallery here has been so diluted with mixed-media styles, Bryce, Vue and C4D renders and heavily postworked (2D processed) images that, in some cases, the Poser aspect is no longer even recognizable. Even that is fine - it is an understandable evolution of a community which was founded by and continues to be dominated by 2D computer artists. BUT, I for one, do not want my style of 3D art compared with those styles. Nor do I want my art viewed or criticised by people who do not have basic knowledge, understanding or concern for what I am trying to accomplish. I just would like a category which attracts like-minded artists. I do not wish to displace anybody here or suggest that their work is any less significant than mine. I just want to share my work with people who can appreciate it for what it is rather than tell me how many wonderful ways there are to postwork hair. As I see it, the REAL problem is that the dominant forces here - for whatever their reasons may be - seem reluctant to provide an exclusive category for pure Poser works. In fact, the mere suggestion of this seems to invoke anger and hostility. From the reaction, one might think that some people were actually AFRAID of the concept, while others are either blind or apathetic to the need for such a category. Yet they vehemently oppose those of us who request it... why? Even if one disagrees with the concept, they certainly don't have to visit this gallery or participate in it - in fact, that's the whole point. But until then, many of us have no place here to showcase our work in an appropriate atmosphere, so is it any wonder why occasionally one of us strikes out at yet another degree of degradation of the use of the term "POSER" in describing a work which no longer resembles its origin? The work here is still fine work, that is not the issue. It definitely deserves a place here. But why does it HAVE to be the very place where true and valid Poser work should be?