Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is this an accident car ?

Himico opened this issue on Oct 21, 2003 ยท 6 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 1:27 AM

I've had the same problems with much simpler objects. And it has nothing to do with polygon smoothing. It has to do with the fact that Poser has no clue about Phong shading angles. Polygon smoothing is a panacea for this in Poser, but it doesn't always work (or works best on organic objects). Shading angles are sometimes a requirement for even planar features, especially with alternating triangles. I have a well modeled object in C4D which exhibits these render artifacts at standard 89% shading angle as well as 60% (my usual fix). As soon as it is set to 20%, perfection. With Poser, no matter what the setting used in UVMapper Pro to fix this (even 0%!!), artifacts occur. Umm, there is no easy way to do this in Poser. You may have to turn polygon smoothing off, to add edge bevels, rework the model, remove degenerate polygons, redundant vertices, split vertices in UVMapper, play with smoothing in UVMapper, guess, or pray. I spent an entire day importing an object into Poser with various "fixes" applied in UVMapper and Poser, but to no avail. It is not my model that is at fault, it is Poser. From my experience, Poser does not like long, thin polygons. The closer to inscribable within a square, the better. I don't know for certain, but no one has enlightened me to why this occurs and how to avoid it. Sometimes the fix is simple, other times it is impossible. I will not create/sell any more products for Poser until explanations that solve these idiosyncracies are given.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone