Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Whays every1 gone crazy over anime dolls?

Laver2k opened this issue on Oct 21, 2003 ยท 36 posts

simontemplar posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 7:06 PM

Adam Warren stands right in the middle of it esthetically. The difference will be in his scenario and text approach though. An action anime or manga is never too verbose. Anime characters stuck into an "action" situation don't have those Silver Surfer lines you can read in Warren's version of Bubblegum Crisis. I love Warren's work but it aint either anime or comics: it stands on the razor edge. What he got right though is the japanese sense of puns. I think there's a mistake commonly made: there is no such thing as a "japanese comics" or an "american manga". Either way the cultural difference will bend the result... what was said earlier about "dulled" from japanese to american conception of anime esthetics is very true. You can tell immediately if it's a westerner's work or not; the method is different, the conception of a picture's background, the use of colors, everything will tell. it's like 2 schools of painting working on the same subject: if the japanese school is asked to draw a set of Ukyo-E and a set of hommages to Norman Rockwell, the latter will look weird. If the amerocan school is asked to do the same kind of work, their Ukyo-E will look like drawn on crack :3 I think we should all just stick to what we know... Maya's done a not only cute, but very useful doll here; she looks anime, she IS anime, and even us westerners who cannot "think" anime when we draw we can now make some pretty decent renders. It ain't about what we are capable of in terms of performance and competiotion, it's just a matter of what our cultural background make sus good at.