Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Suggested Standard for Merchants by Merchants

BlueBeard opened this issue on Oct 28, 2003 ยท 83 posts

Spanki posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 9:27 PM

re: Readme files... Something to keep in mind... Daz distributes all of thier products as executable installer files. That means two things, relative to this discussion... 1) the installer program 'installs' the product, so there's no need for 'installation instructions' in the readme file. 2) the installer program will 'display' the readme file, so the customer doesn't (initially) need to go looking for it and can always find it in the (Daz-created) ReadMe's folder later for reference. ...the products you purchase from Renderosity do not use an executable installer program, they come packaged as zip files. The readme file has (or should have) "Installation Instructions" in it. Logically, a customer would read the readme file (including the installation instructions) before installing the product. It therefore doesn't make much sense to put the readme file into a subfolder. I create my packages like so: ProductName_Runtime.zip <-- contains the full Runtime directory structure of the product. ProductName_xxx.zip <-- contains ProductName_Runtime.zip, license.txt and ProductName_Readme.txt ...when you unzip ProductName_xxx.zip, you get the readme file, license file and the runtime zip. The installation instructions in the readme file will tell you to copy the runtime zip file to your Poser directory and unzip that there. Anyway, I know that a lot of packages just come as one big zip file where the readme is included (somewhere in there), but that just doesn't make sense to me from a 'new user' point of view (obviously once you've installed your millionth Poser package, you'll have a pretty good idea of how to do things without referencing any installation instructions, but we need to consider the new users). Just out of curiousity, does anyone here simply download things directly to thier Poser directory and unzip them there? Or do you download to some storage place, unzip there, then copy the Runtime folder over to your Poser directory? (I'm guessing 90+% do it the second way).

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.