Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The value placed on realism in 3D work--what's that about?

pookah69 opened this issue on Nov 16, 2003 ยท 39 posts

ronstuff posted Sun, 16 November 2003 at 12:59 PM

I don't see why some people are so interested in encapsulating CGI works whether they are "Art" or whether they are "craft" or whatever. It is a very broad field with many different approaches. I can admire the work of Anime Artists, or Bryce Scenic Artists, Pinup Artists, Poser Mannequin artists and even those who strive for realism in their work (which is my personal favorite). I think may people strive for "realism" simply because of the challenge it presents - I know that is why I do it. I enjoy that challenge and the process of discovering new techniques to achieve that result. I don't think every gallery image needs to be "Art" in order to merit showcasing. Sometimes the value of a work is in the craft or TECHNIQUE even if the final image falls short of other artistic merits. I think we should stop thinking of these galleries as narrowly defined "ART Galleries" because I don't think they are intended to be that - at least the gallery topics suggest otherwise (or the Poser Gallery should be named "Poser Art Gallery"). I think the galleries are here to showcase the WORKS of the individuals, and are not necessarily limited to ARTWORKS.