Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The value placed on realism in 3D work--what's that about?

pookah69 opened this issue on Nov 16, 2003 ยท 39 posts

dialyn posted Sun, 16 November 2003 at 7:49 PM

Oh, I don't think so. The dealers and market are driven by what sells, and if we all sit around demanding the same old thing week after week, and that's what we buy, and we don't buy anything that is new or forces us to challenge ourselves other than one we have made a hundred times before, then we have ourselves to blame. The dealers ask over and over again what we would like to see...and I can tell you without looking what the best sellers will be, and what kind of pictures will appear in the Hot 20. Because that's what the majority wants. And that's what the majority pay for. And it is the money of the community that drives the marketplace. Simple economics. And what does that have to do with art? Not much. The real artists are the ones who are the originators and the originals, in my mind. But I also don't think we can blame it on the big, bad merchants. I need them because I can't model or texture on my own. I credit them and I don't pretend the results are art. And there are people who do original work using what is available to them in the market and free stuff...but they are the ones who look beyond what has been done before and aren't afraid to have their own vision, even if it takes them where there aren't as many hits or views or whatever we substitute in for quality or originality. But it's okay. If doing the same basic thing over and over again makes people happy, doesn't seem like it's something that we should complain about. It's not for me to tell you what you should be doing. Not for you to tell me what I should be doing. As long as we had some small respect for the person (even if we have none for the graphics), it would help.