Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The value placed on realism in 3D work--what's that about?

pookah69 opened this issue on Nov 16, 2003 ยท 39 posts

maclean posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 2:35 PM

LovePyrs, No offence taken whatsoever. I like a good discussion too and have a bad habit of throwing in comments to provoke a reaction. I also have a (good) habit of not taking myself too seriously. In the end, we can discuss art till we're blue in the face and it's all meaningless. People will like what they like and that's that. Silke, Re the dealers. I HATE art dealers with a deadly loathing. And, for that matter, a lot of art critics. IMO, these people have far too much power. On the other hand, I do believe in the teaching of art appreciation. I'm no lover of modern art, but there are certain pieces which can be understood and appreciated properly if they're explained. Mind you, I doubt if that applies to 'cow-pat art'. Some of the stuff that wins the Turner Prize in the UK makes me want to puke. But I've seen some amazing stuff by Damien Hirst which a lot of people wouldn't class as real Art. As you say, in the end it all comes down to personal taste. Re realism - I'm not quite sure how we got from realism to art, since the 2 things have never has anything in common. Most paintings that are regarded as Art are the exact opposite of realism. Entire schools of painters - Impressionists, Dadaists and Surrealists - avoid realism like the plague. And don't mention 'Art' photographers to me! There are 2, maybe 3 real artists in photography. Ansel Adams, Cartier-Bresson and Avedon. The rest are just trying to make a quick buck. mac