Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Update on Daz|Studio

renderhawk opened this issue on Nov 19, 2003 ยท 62 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Thu, 20 November 2003 at 10:29 AM

To ronstuff: Please show me some renders of how the Blinn and Phong shader nodes vary the surface smoothing (i.e.: dihedral polygon smoothing). I have tested this myself and it had no effect on it, only on the specularity. I also did a Google search on "micropolygon displacement smoothing" and it returned a whopping 6 results (mostly disjointed). Not many more if I include the hyphen between 'micro' and 'polygon', most referring to Poser 5. The problem with this wonderful "micropolygon displacement smoothing", in Poser 5 anyway, is the lack of control. I am still unable to tell it what threshold angle will determine sharp or smoothed edges. This might be moot for organics, but in no way moot for other objects. Point in case: I have a model on which I'm currently working that has need of sharp transitions on small angles while also requiring smooth transitions on small curvature angles. Without a threshold angle (and edge breaking in this case), having both smooth and sharp transitions on small angles would be impossible (i.e.: Poser). UV Mapper Pro has been indispensible in transferring my models from C4D/LightWave to Poser and retaining smoothing/edging (to some extent). Without it, I would have pushed aside Poser as a target for my models some time ago. Nonetheless, I feel that this latest model will not be as good in Poser as it is in the originating application due to this lack of control. To return to the thread, this is why I would rather have CONTROL of dihedral polygon smoothing in D/S if I cannot get it within Poser. Kuroyume

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone