Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: questions about updating p5 settings to improve performace of the interface

darknewt opened this issue on Dec 01, 2003 ยท 30 posts

Silke posted Tue, 02 December 2003 at 7:16 AM

Yes, definitely don't move the main install files for V3 / M3 out of the P5 runtime directory. I found M3 doesn't work at all, and V3 takes forever to load. Move em back and hey presto... As for the startup.... Ok. Here goes a little (a lot) "What do I do with my swapfile" :) Virtual Memory Set min/max figures to 2 times your ram. Both should be the same to avoid resizing. The fixed size swap file has two benefits: - the cpu does not have to constantly recalculate the size of the swap file from the free space on your harddisk. - if min=max then the swap file will not get fragmented(it takes much more time to access a diferent location on the harddrive than just continue reading/writing to the same location) Sometimes - not always - after you set the min/max for your pagefile, and you run a defrag straight after, it will put the swapfile at the front of the drive. (Faster) So after you set it, defrag. See if it moves the swapfile. Don't worry if it doesn't, it doesn't make that much difference, but obviously if the swapfile is at the front of the drive, then it's the first area that is read / written to - hence access to the swapfile is faster. I'm really not sure how much of a difference it actually makes though. (btw - pagefile / swapfile = same thing.) On Windows it's called "pagefile.sys" just in case you didn't know. Swapfile is a Unix term. (I usually call them swapfiles. It's a leftover from Win 95 etc which had swapfiles) Don't place multiple pagefiles on different partitions on the same physical disk drive. Try to avoid having the pagefile on the same drive as the system files. (i.e. if you have 2 harddisks - put the pagefile on your OTHER disk.) If you want to move the pagefile, just add another on the other drive, reboot, then reduce the c: drive one to 0. Reboot. It should be gone afterwards. Other things you can do - which I tend to do every now and then - is set Window to clear the swapfile on shutdown. To do that you actually have to edit the registry though. WARNING! I only recommend this if you know what you are doing! This is the key where it is set: Reg Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory ManagementClearPageFileAtShutdown Procedure: Set to 1 to clear at shutdown. Anyway.... 'nuff of my blathering about swapfiles lol. Silke

Silke