Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: questions about updating p5 settings to improve performace of the interface

darknewt opened this issue on Dec 01, 2003 ยท 30 posts

Silke posted Tue, 02 December 2003 at 3:14 PM

Since you have 4 disks, I am assuming you are mirroring, not striping. Striping with parity will take 3 disks. Yes, you don't need the swapfile on the raid drive. I fact, like Stewer says, having it on a RAID drive is a bad thing, because it would constantly be keeping your RAID drives hard at work, since it constantly changes. As barriephillips says - it depends on the kind of RAID you use. Heheeh barriephillips... For a moment there I thought you were wrong on the stripe set when I saw redundancy, but you're right. :) Basically, all the third disk does is keep track of where all the bits of data are on the other two disks, and how those bits relate to each other. No actual data on that disk. So if one disk can't find something, it asks the parity disk where it is, and that will tell it where to go look and how to fix itself. (It's the HDD Tourist Information Desk!) "Wouldn't a computer with few RAM need more swap space than a computer with lots of RAM?" No, because the RAM swaps out to the swapfile. What's not there, can't be swapped. So if you have 512mb RAM but a 4gb pagefile setting... you will probably never actually get it above 1gb of actual used pagefile even if you set it at 10gb. Actually the rule of thumb is 2.5x your RAM. 2x is better IMO because that's usually the actual pagefile your system uses. (And I've balanced plenty of servers that bore me out on that one. None use more than 2x their ram.) Here is what you actually should do - but it will take a few days. First of all, dump your swapfile. Then set it to 1.5x min capacity of the amount of RAM you have. Set max the same. Now watch the swapfile size to see what it really goes up to over a couple days while you do things you normally do. Keep an eye on it. Increase it to 2x RAM if it reaches full min. Watch it again. Set it to 3x RAM if it increases again. Watch what it goes up to. (Don't change the minimum in this period, only the maximum) It will probably go to around 2x your RAM and stop there, maybe go a bit over, or a bit under. Once it's been stable for a couple days, set the min/max to about .5 more than you have your actual pagefile at that time. Bingo. You're done. That's how I set the swapfile on our servers. However, after a couple months, be sure to check that the settings are still ok. Sometimes freaky stuff happens. Oh yeah, one word of warning on stripe sets. Do not go near a stripe set with something like Partition Magic or another tool that repartitions HDD's unless you want to lose all your data. Stripe sets can't be repartitioned. I learned that the hard way lol.... Thank GOD I had a backup. I was kind of considering moving to the Amazon and become a crocodile farmer the moment I saw those 3 very BLANK disks... Are ya all bored yet? :P Silke

Silke