Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: So, what's up with Poser 5? Is it a lemon or a jewel?

dontbotherme opened this issue on Dec 02, 2003 ยท 30 posts

millman posted Tue, 02 December 2003 at 4:54 PM

It's neither a complete lemon, and far from ajewel. It's a way to get a figure that you can use in some other program, but trying to render with it is a disaster. Pose your figure, export to something that has a rendering engine, poser doesn't have anything but a miserable excuse. Yes, poser does have some miserable raytracing options, none of which are useable once you've used something that really works. Atmospheric media, fog effects, all are possible with poser, and the addition of several hundred dollars worth of "postwork" software. LIghting control in poser is poor, and that's giving it a lot. "IF" things in the program worked as stated, and IF the instruction manual was worth anything, IF it would not hang up the memory, it might be useable. The slowest and least capable of my dosboxes is where it now resides, I export an obj and then import that into another program where I can actually do the work that I want done. (After jumping through the normal exhorbitant number of intermediate hoops.) IT's a tool, and should be looked at as nothing more, it is not a complete kit in itself. (Art of Illusion, BTW does the most beautiful job of translating between formats that I've found yet. Good stuff, if not especially intuitive to work with.)