Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Confused

Arathrax opened this issue on Dec 04, 2003 ยท 17 posts

dialyn posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 9:31 AM

Nothing is really free. Take Sara, the free new character. Yeah, she's free but all the add ons cost. It will be the same with Daz Studio. The base version will be free, but to really do anything with it will require adding more and more. I'm not complaining about the strategy. It has worked for Daz for a long time. And there are good reasons to hook people into an ongoing relationship with a product. But they are a business, and they aren't giving away anything for free that they don't think will be a money maker later on. It's just good marketing on their part. In a way, I think Curious Labs made an error in trying to release a product that was an attempt to do too many things as a whole item. That left it very vulnerable when some of the addons didn't work as well as people hoped they would. Nothing is perfect. I think Daz is giving themselves room to keep improving the project on an onging basis. That's a good thing. But it's not free in the long run. It costs them to create it. They need to recoup that cost.