Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: E-Frontier buys Curious Labs

MadYuri opened this issue on Dec 04, 2003 ยท 81 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 10:24 AM

I agree that we don't know what will happen, but "watch and wait" are ill-fated words. When Commodore went belly-up some years back, we Amiga users didn't just watch as the BoD screwed several million users. We proactively petitioned. Didn't accomplish anything (especially with meetings taking place in Bermuda, conveniently), but none of us were about to sit back and watch the only computer system that we had ever known and favored just be sold away into oblivion. How many Poser users are there? What would you do if E-Frontier just shelved it akin to what was done to Canoma (It's not coming back. When was the last/first version released? Almost four years ago?)? That would mean no more support, no more updates, no more versions. Poser would be dead. It is up to the Poser community to make it known that Poser is still a viable application with a large userbase and its loss would be devastating. This not only impacts users, but also third-party content creators like Daz (for now anyway), PoserWorld, RunDNA, and so on. Believe me, you can dream on about how long the current versions of Poser will sustain themselves if it is shelved, but it won't last forever. The Amiga eventually evaporated - although there are still users out there and a somewhat unorganized attempt at a new OS, there aren't many users left, and they have to deal with antiquated, nearly impossible to find, secondhand hardware, an OS that doesn't have the capabilities of a Palm Pilot, no real software, no support. My advice for the moment is to keep a keen eye on both the CL and E-Frontier web sites (as well as any other pertinent news). There are three courses here: shelving, incorporation, keeping the product alive. Let's see which course E-Frontier steers toward and try to adjust it if it is off course.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone