Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Gallery Comments and Rankings... Honesty or Fluff?

LovePyrs opened this issue on Dec 05, 2003 ยท 36 posts

Orio posted Fri, 05 December 2003 at 2:03 PM

Here is what I do: - when I see a picture that I like, I comment positively on it. But I try not to do it with just an "excellent". I try to explain WHY I like that image and for what. This way I think I also help the author to focus on his/her strong points; If at the same time I see a flaw or something that can be bettered, here's what I do: - if the author explicitely asked for critical comments, then I post also my critical point; - if the author did NOT ask for critical comments, I usually publish only the positive comment, then, I "IM" the author privately with my critical observations. This way I think I help him without expoising him to a public critic. This I think is especially good for those people who are shy and maybe have taken months to find the "guts" to publish a picture... I think hurting the sensibility of a person is worse than not commenting on his errors... so I send a private message to both let him know my critic, and not do it in public. Also this can be good for the person's self esteem: to see that someone else care enough to send a private message, can mean that this person will feel he has done something worth anyway, and will be more inclined to listen to the critique and learn. All the above is referred to pictures where I see both good and bad things. If a picture only has bad things, I do not comment at all. It would be just destructive. I prefer to wait for that person to release a new and better picture, to be able to mix some encouragement with the critic. We must remember something: it's true that some people posts to get critical feedback. But it's also true that some people post just to show their work online to friends. There are many uses and many intentions in the galleries: people who want to pursue an artistic career, people that just do it for fun, people that maybe are shy in communicating with others and have found a way to do that with posting pictures. For this last category of persons, a harsh critique can really be hurting and do bad to their souls. We have to respect them all and treat them all with care, taking into consideration all the above aspects. Orio