Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Gallery Comments and Rankings... Honesty or Fluff?

LovePyrs opened this issue on Dec 05, 2003 ยท 36 posts

Orio posted Fri, 05 December 2003 at 10:01 PM

I have read with interest the comments subsequent to mine. I think that an apparently much shared assumption is that all people posting pictures consider themselves artists or wannabe artists that take their work seriously and are committed to get better in it with their best forces. I think (mine is an opinion, but I don't think I'm much far from truth) that this picture does not represent the reality of the gallery as they are today. I think that the galleries today are for the major part filled by people who wants to simply have fun with CG. This includes the teenager wanting to get popular by posting nude pictures of big-boobed vickies, the middle aged gentle lady posting pictures of her cats, and so on. It includes also a lot of those "shy" amateurs that do the most different things in life (bank employees, students, retired people) and dare to post once in a while when they think they have finally something good. To treat all those people with the same straight analytical critical attitude we consider appropriate for a "real" artist (or wannabe artist) is not really doing those people any good or giving them any help I think (with the exception of the teenagers who may get this as a healthy life lesson). I think it can only hurt them unnecessarily. I have seen this happen unfortunately. That is why I always adopt those "caution measures" I described in my earlier post. I don't know... I just don't feel that the equation "you posted here=so I can comment on your picture as I like" is necessarily always true. It is surely a member's right to do so. But is it always the most appropriate action, humanly speaking?