Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Gallery Comments and Rankings... Honesty or Fluff?

LovePyrs opened this issue on Dec 05, 2003 ยท 36 posts

gagnonrich posted Sun, 07 December 2003 at 10:04 PM

Attached Link: Most awesome Bryce/Poser Pic

I'm not a professionally trained artist. I'm only starting to produce Poser art that I'm reasonably satisfied with. I really don't see that I'm in any position to criticize anybody's Poser art. There's art I like and art I don't like. I can usually tell from a thumbnail whether an image is worth viewing. If the thumbnail doesn't grab me, I don't look any further. Whenever I see an image that doesn't impress me, I don't see a need to critique it. It might be the best that the artist is currently capable of doing. Why dash this person's efforts? Part of the problem with critiquing any artwork is that we all have a different vision of what is good. There are some tried and true theories of composition and layout that can be the basis of providing comments. Even applying those theories overly much can be stifling. Try being a judge at an art contest that provides those rules as the yardstick for judging art instead of simply relying on what is emotionally satisfying. The best artwork isn't the most compelling piece, but the one that most followed the hidden rules. I'd rather just post praise. If the work isn't good enough to rate excellent, I won't post a rating. Over the course of time, an artist can look at their gallery and see what got the most comments and ratings and use that as a yardstick for what is working and what isn't. I've looked at the top lists in the gallery and have been somewhat amazed by what is rated highly. The most highly viewed image is not the most impressive piece of Poser work I've ever seen. I cannot figure out why it has almost twice as many views as the next most viewed image. There's one artist who has a large number of images in the Most Commented section and half as many comments as the most commented image with only 3% as many viewings. I'd rate about a third of the most viewed and most commented images as not being particularly good art. The Best Ranked listings are a little better. I don't know if some of this art is on the top listings due to fraudulent practices or if they're part of cliques that are more actively promoting one of their own. It's always possible that a lot of other people think some of the art is much better than I do. I need to take the time to look at more galleries and provide good ratings and comments for work that isn't getting the kind of notice that it should. That's the only way to raise the overall class of what is out there. PS: The link I posted is the most ambitious Poser/Bryce image I've ever seen. I don't know if I could say it's the best piece of artwork I've ever seen, but it is truly the most incredible thing I've seen here; with a literal cast of thousands.

My visual indexes of Poser content are at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/rgagnon