Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: DAZ Studio---What's the purpose?

biggert opened this issue on Dec 16, 2003 ยท 77 posts

jval posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 8:55 PM

Hype? Perhaps in that DAZ has been promoting Studio's imminent release. But otherwise they have continually warned us that Studio is in its preliminary stages. They have also emphasized that it will not be "complete" upon its beta release. I am at a loss why you think their goal is "...taking away some angry CL customers..." They already have those customers, both happy and unhappy. Surely you have noticed the pervasive presence of DAZ products in the online gallery images.

Here's something to consider. They're at the mercy of something beyond their control. At various times in the past CL's survival was by no means certain and without Poser DAZ does not have a business. In that light it makes perfectly good sense to make an alternative available to the public. Indeed, to do otherwise might be considered criminally stupid.

DAZ have proven themselves to be anything but stupid. Studio will apparently provide the basic necessary functions quite early in the game. And it will be free. The basic program may well continue to be free. In time they intend to add various modules, for a price, that will extend Studio's capabilities to eventually match and quite possibly surpass those of Poser. If the past is any indication these additional modules will likely be reasonably priced. We will have the added benefit that we need only purchase those features that we want. Not interested in animation? Then don't pay for it- either in purchase dollars or unecessary computer resource overhead.

I do not doubt your word that you may have had problems with DAZ products. But literally thousands have not, far too many to believe that your problems are endemic. Regardless, not only does DAZ say they do not specifically support Poser 5 they also offer an unconditional 30 day guarantee on their products. I'm afraid your complaint does not ring true to these ears.

DAZ may well be the Microsoft of Poserland. If so, this was achieved not by hype or coercion but by a multitude of satisfied customers. In the past others have tried to provide a "vickie" equivalent. It is hardly DAZ's fault if those others failed. Lastly, DAZ is hardly a monopoly. Although I am well pleased with them there are far too many other sites that have also managed to convince me to send my money their way.