Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: DAZ Studio---What's the purpose?

biggert opened this issue on Dec 16, 2003 ยท 77 posts

zai posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 2:18 AM

erm....what tpriest said!

I've got to agree...I got into Poser at Version 5 and while it was difficult to understand at first, that was mainly because I had never worked in 3d at ALL before. That was mostly due to MY learning curve, not P5's bad coding. But before anyone thinks I am defending P5....I can say that after all the hullabaloo about P4 being better, it seems that I too may have preferred P4 to P5, if I had known better or started earlier.

But, since I didn't and after FINALLY getting to SR3 for P5 (NOTHING worked right til then...crashed on EVERY render) I seem to be doing much better, even more so as my knowledge of how to actually use the program itself and what all the bits and pieces do (as in..I had no idea why lashes needed a transmap and I got caterpillars for eyebrows for the first 3 weeks!).

I still have never tried the cloth room or the face room because I have no use for them yet, nor the animation, so I like the fact that D/S is modular. Now that I do a lot of work in P5, I too think the interface is horrid, slow and clunky. Memory hog extrordinaire!

I have high hopes for D/S as simply an alternative to P5 with the ability to SEE what I'm doing, unlike the "take your best shot" version of P5 clothing that doesn't show up in the workspace. I'm no codemaster nor 3d modeler, but at least it will give me a choice...and of course it IS a smart move for Daz businesswise.

The hype has been a bit overdone...but I agree that its mostly excited consumers talking and not DAZ itself. Which irritates me since they keep changing the date. Honestly, I'm BORED waiting for D/S at this point and am going into serious "so what" mode with all the wondering when it will comeout. Excitement wanes over time when ya don't get no cookie, but someone keeps insiting they are jsut about to take them out of the oven!

I too have had crappy experience with DAZ customer service...while they did make things semi-right with me over some issues, I still am leary of their whole set up (including marketing practices and general business practices) most of the time and the site drives me INSANE trying to keep up with where things are, what's on sale, what discount applies to what, and the list goes on. Can't help it..I'm a web developer and if I ran a site that way I would be FIRED....although I give kudos for their site look...very slick...makes me wish I designed it.

Daz products....never really had a problem other than trying to figure out where everything went when I installed it. But that just goes back to the whole organization scheme (or lack thereof) in P5 in my opinion. Its too damn much trouble to organize things all day long, but if you don't you can't find anything! I tried PBoost, but it seems to hate my XP...maybe someday I'll get it straightened out, but that won't stop me from buying from DAZ. So far they have the most dependable quality products on the market. We shall see what happens since Anton left...I rather liked your stuff! (Where can we find you now?)

All in all..I say D/S is a good thing...let's hope it lives up to the hype!

zai

Rendo Store | Freebies | RDNA Store