Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I could use a little help please....

Jack D. Kammerer opened this issue on Aug 24, 2000 ยท 18 posts

STORM3 posted Thu, 24 August 2000 at 5:45 PM

Jack glad to see you have the time to finally get back to Poser. It's probably been a rough couple of months what with the geometric expansion of the Renderosity membership and everything else. So happy posing. Anyway to the point of this post. You mentioned you are reorganising your Poser downloads and I have noticed a number of posts on the organisation issue. Here is what I do and maybe it might be of some help to you and others. The first thing when downloading is to impose a rigid structure otherwise your Hard Disk will quickly degenerate into bedlam. 1) I keep a main folder, separate from the Poser Program folder, called "Poser Downloads." 2) "Poser Downloads" is broken up into sub-folders. I have close to 30 such folders called e.g. (000) Animals, (000) Characters Fem, (000) Characters Male, (000) Clothing Fem_Objects, (000) Clothing Fem Trans_Textures, (000) Clothing Fem_Shoes, (000) Clothing Fem_Accesories etc. etc. Everything from floors to props to body textures to Morphs etc has a (000) folder. 3) The (000) folders can then be broken into sub folders. E.g. (000) Props has nearly 60 sub folders called (11) Weapons_Modern, (11)Weapons_Early, (11)Furniture_Bathroom, (11) Furniture_Bedroom, (11) Buildings, (11) Vehicals, etc etc. 4) When downloading I always down directly to the target folder and rename a file at the time of download generally using part of the original name. e.g. For a pose set file "(SnowSultan) Seductive Poses 01", the directory structure would be "D/Poser Downloads/(000) Poses/(11) Snow Sultan Poses -(or whatever)- /(SnowSultan) Seductive Poses 01 (or any filename)." I also save the thumbnail with the same name as the file downloaded INTO THE SAME FOLDER e.g. "(SnowSultan) Seductive Poses 01 prv" - using the "prv" (preview) addition to distinguish it from the file. If the file does not have a thumb image I make one in Poser (small render) and use it for my "prv" file. 5) I organise my Poser and Bryce and other tutorials in a similar fashion breaking them up into sub folders by subject e.g. D/Poser Tutorials/(000) Figure Creation, (000) Morphing, (000) Lighting etc. etc. I also convert the html files to pdf files and remove the active links for better offline usage. (Adobe Acrobat 4 has the option to remove all web links when converting a file to pdf) and I store the html originals in an Archive folder (I am paranoid that I might lose my links!) By using the above method I can very quickly find any file I am looking for. In addition, by using the Paint Shop Pro "Browse" facility or a program like ACDSee 3.0 I can very quickly browse the "prv" files in the folders and locate any file in a visual way. I have over 20 Gigs of downloads directly relevant to Poser, many of them, props and textures from all over the web, in many different formats and I generally find any file I am looking for in seconds. Used in conjunction with Win 3D Exploration it works perfectly for me. It also makes backing up my stuff on CD really easy. Maybe this will help others too. Regards STORM