Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: # of gallery uploads...a little rant here

rockets opened this issue on Dec 22, 2003 ยท 76 posts

kobaltkween posted Tue, 23 December 2003 at 3:26 PM

DE: if it "tweeked" me, i wouldn't write a screenplay (which i haven't, though not for this reason). or make a comic. or write a book. or do just about anything besides publish on the web, because everywhere else is going to be under the control of a hell of a lot of other people besides me. because that's what happens when you work with other creative people instead of just doing everything on your own.

if i want complete control, i do everything myself and i don't see a reason to complain that i don't get to use someone else's space precisely as i want to.

maybe it's misplaced, but i do expect more from such creative people as those here have shown themselves to be. not because of "bad" or "ungrateful" behavior, but because i would expect this to be an unnoticable pebble that your (collective) creativity would easily get around.

and my point about all those fields was this: for every person that looks at those limitations and walks away, many more think nothing of them and work with them. or even more, thrive from them. and so book publishing, comic book publishing, radio, film and television all remain stronger than a single artist. all of those fields allow orders of magnitude less creative control than this place does, and yet people keep working with them.

so, ok, you're upset. but you're still near the top of the heap when it comes to creative control. if you want to be angry, go ahead, but be angry with perspective.

i'm all for complete creative control. in my experience and observation, it comes with the cost of doing absolutely everything yourself.

ratteler: people can still easily see your work as you want to present it. i mentioned at least one solution that didn't involve reducing you to one page. as was mentioned by geep, anyone looking by artist (which much better fits your gallery analogy than someone just looking at the day's postings) will see all of your works in thumbnails at once. personally, this is exactly how i view those who create sequential works, such as bigt's great escape.

i guess to me it boils down to this: if you put your work in a public place, you make compromises because the owners of the place and the viewers have wants and needs that enter the equation. if you don't work with them, you're not trying to communicate, you're trying to dominate.

i'm sympathetic to wanting complete control, but not to demanding control over others and their resources to get it.

personally, i see it as a balance: viewers get to see more works from different people- benefitting the many, but have to look up an artist to see their work alone -only somewhat inconveniencing the few.

so, i hear, i'm sorry people are upset, but i do think it more productive to move on to solutions than complain. and i know from watching various artists in the "real" world disappear from notice, those that don't will likely be forgotten, whether unjustly or justly.