Forum: MarketPlace Showcase

Subject: CHECK THIS OUT WOAH!!!

bungle1 opened this issue on Dec 22, 2003 ยท 39 posts

Questor posted Wed, 24 December 2003 at 5:38 AM

Cookies are bad for the teeth. Milk? Well, after seeing what the UK dairy industry does I'm not convinced that's particularly good either. Wine is ok in small doses and apologies are only necessary when a wrong has been done. Other than that I see no reason to further comment as I agree with the majority of what you say. Except. It is, as you say a fine way to begin research by asking working artists. However, the larger majority of people on this and many other similarly oriented sites are not working artists but are hobbyists and as has been displayed over and over in the copyright forum and in the store itself have at best only a tenuous grasp of the subject of copyright law and licensing. This results in urban myths being bandied as truth and mistakes that bite people hard in the ass. There's nothing wrong with asking in these forums as there are people who will provide links and information that is relevant. There are also a large proportion of complete amateurs who give wrong advice without qualifying it. For instance a recent comment on this site that "if you alter an image enough it's yours". That's the sort of advice that people don't need because it's completely inaccurate. On sites where there are a large number of professional working artists one tends to get far more educated and experienced comments in return. On this site, while there are professionals here the larger majority of advice is questionable to say the least. Another memorable comment from one merchant was "It's free advertising, they'll pay me or I'll tell them to get lost". As you say, and I agree wholeheartedly with, it's a place to begin research but the key here is RESEARCH and not taking the word of a forumite who could well just be some pillock with a keyboard and a ditzy clue floating in a can of Mountain Dew. I think that's where the severity of my response comes from, seeing a lot of bad advice given to people on this and other similar sites by members and in some cases the staff themselves pretending to speak from knowledge where they have none. In a litigious age like the one we live in today, it's a mine field to play with "advice" from a forum and assume that it's accurate or even good advice. Unfortunately also, a rather large number of people don't want to find out, they don't want to do the research, they just want a work-around and to sell for money. As a result we get infringements and flame wars and merchants' careers destroyed. All for the lack of a little thought and research. On that note. Merry whatever it is you celebrate if anything at all. Or is that what "Season's Greetings" means? Ahh, whatever. A joyous time to all.