Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Please post D|S posts in the D|S Forum

Crescent opened this issue on Dec 25, 2003 ยท 62 posts

compiler posted Sat, 27 December 2003 at 2:33 PM

Sure Poser5 has a bad rep (a little undeserved since SR3 IMHO), but, so far, DS has mostly shown promises. I have opened it twice, then had twice my computer frozen. I'll quit there for the alpha. DAZ is not paying me enough to test their programs. I went to the DS forum and have been unimpressed by the results so far. There are certainly good features : openGL (if it can work on my NVidia card that is), light management, and... well that's all I see for the moment. But since it is just an alpha, there's no problem with this. There is ample time to improve. A little more annoying are those DS devouts that pester the forums with their caps locked "Ooohs" and "Aaaahs" about DS, how it will be this and that, how it will develop into the best 3D proggy ever, etc... Now I hope that DAZ is not paying these loonies to flood the forums with their superlative credos, because they really piss me off (and I'm not the only one I guess). These guys are starting a religion, or what ? Few people here have the nerve to complain against DAZ (because, sometimes, DAZ do make bad things). The worst we hear is "I love DAZ, I had a tiny little problem with them, but they are super great, don't flame me". And they are met by a volley of acusations ranging from "whinning" to "ingratitutde" (what gratitutde do we how to DAZ ? They sell things, we buy them, or not. Period). I even get the feeling that some pros here think "well, I won't speak my mind against DAZ because I might want to work for them one day". Censorship is in our mind. And this leads me to other speculations about the potential danger of DS. What is great at R'osity? Freebies, marketplace, and the occasional hack discovery (ERC, MAT poses, subdivide poses, etc...). Look at the DS files : how can they be opened ? Or hacked ? Who knows what there is inside ? So we'll need to buy plug-ins and tools and we'll be restricted to what DAZ sells. In these conditions, freebies will become fewer and more far between. We will even be restricted to what DAZ wants to sell : remember how they resisted making something available to use the V3 clothes on V2 ? I'm neither for nor against DAZ, but I think that the prospective of DS being the only program available in this price range is not a great one. So far, CL hasn't said anything on what was produced to use with their program because freebee makers and merchants were not a competition for them. What when they'll be in direct competition with DAZ who will make the proggy AND the contents ? Can you say monopoly ? (and, please, do not say "trust DAZ' good faith" : when it is money we talk about, you can trust in no one's good faith). Aaaaaah. Feel better now. End of rant mode. ;)