Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: If I hear "hobbyist" on more time.......

PheonixRising opened this issue on Dec 27, 2003 ยท 63 posts

soulhuntre posted Sun, 28 December 2003 at 6:52 AM

"making money from an ability is not a sign of skill or quality." In some markets, no. In others it absolutely is. For instance the animators that make the most money doing FX work for films are absolutely among the best around. Anyway, I understand the point at the bottom of this - the term hobbyist is often used to put down someone who does something we don't like. Hell, we see it in the Poser community when folks start getting all bent about Vicki in temple renders. We spend at least as much time segregating ourselves as the outsiders do. For me? Poser is a tool. it is one with sever limitations (this applies to D|S as well) and it will always have those limitations. For now the advantages far outweigh those limitations - it will not always be that way and thats just fine. My only point is that in general it is not at all insulting to realize that Poser, for all its coolness, is not a tool for "heavy lifintg" general purpose 3D - what is usually meant as "professional" work. PS - there are unfortunately multiple definitions for "photographer". sigh I meant.... Photog"rapher, n. One who practices, or is skilled in, photography. So one could be a hobbyist or professional photographer :) Sometimes language sucks :)