Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: If I hear "hobbyist" on more time.......

PheonixRising opened this issue on Dec 27, 2003 ยท 63 posts

wolf359 posted Sun, 28 December 2003 at 10:19 AM

"It makes me laugh that many corporate software corps are targeting the same fictionous legions of professional animators they think are sitting out there to buy their product. Most won't admit getting the bulk of their revenues from students and the "home" market." ---------------------------------------------------------------- Pardon me and no offense but Upon what exactly are you basing this statement???? There is NOTHING "fictitious" about the professional companies that purchase licenses and support packages for programs like side effects "Houdini Avid "Softimage XSI" or Alias Wavefronts "MAYA Unlimited" and at an averge price of 12-$15000 per seat ,depending on the support package, I am curious to know HOW you have determined that the "bulk" of these companies revenues are coming from students and home users. :-) These programs are designed for use in large team pipelines with very high speced hardware connected with elaborate networked render nodes and custom proprietary scripting such as MAYA's MEL scripting to unluck thier true funtionality. Now if you are talking about MID level apps like Lightwave3D and Cinema4DXL then you may have a point that some of thier revenus come from very small Shops,and One man freelance operations doing modelmaking and simple animations etc. but then again lightwave is used in many TV and movie productions such as Startrek "enterprise" "Jimmy neutron" SCi fi Channlels "Dune" and "childern of Dune" just to name a few. NONE of these types of pro broadcast quality work is being done by "Hobbyists".

My website

YouTube Channel