Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How did you organise your P5 runtime folders?

Finister opened this issue on Dec 28, 2003 ยท 7 posts

caulbox posted Sun, 28 December 2003 at 9:24 PM

Apart from the issue with the DAZ deltas, then basically you can organise your runtimes however you please. You may (for example) decide to place your M3 Butler in a runtime which contains all of your Mike3 stuff, or alternatively you may decide that he better belongs to your House Staff runtime. It's all down to personal preferences really. However, if you're planning at some future stage to burn self-contained backups of your carefully crafted runtimes, then I would recommend that the location of textures serve as your guide. (no pun intended) To clarify what I'm trying to explain... I have a separate runtime for each character. When I first started to build these runtimes, I included character specific hair in each one. However, as most of the hair is universally applicable, I now find it a much better strategy to have a separate self-contained runtime for hair instead. Two general points: As long as the runtime library which contains them has been added to Poser, then Poser will find textures wherever they might be located irrespective of any referencing. However, if an object location is referenced with a full path (rather than runtime:colons:) Poser will report it as missing and ask you for its location. One last tip which you may find handy when (and if) you are deciding where to place new downloads. Most downloaded items are now zipped with nested runtime folders (which I really do appreciate). When looking at a new download for the first time, I'm in the habit of simply unzipping it (to wherever it is on my hard drive), and then temporarily pointing P5 to its location. This gives me a separate runtime purely for deciding whether or not I want to keep a permanent copy of the item.