Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: If I hear "hobbyist" on more time.......

PheonixRising opened this issue on Dec 27, 2003 ยท 63 posts

dialyn posted Mon, 29 December 2003 at 4:13 PM

So true, gagnonrich. But you can be technically perfect and still not be an artist. An artist, to me, has a spark of originality, imagination, creativity that the technicians may or may not have. Are the graphics in the galleries here art? How many are truly original? How many are copies of someone else's originality? A hobbyist can be an artist. And a professional can be a technician without being an artist....people pay for a lack of originality all the time. It's hard to define art but when you see something that is truly art, you can't forget it. How much of the galleries is unforgetable? Each of us probably have different definitions of what is art to us and what is not. Art is personal. For me, it should also be original...not just an imitation of what someone else has done but something extra, something unique to the person who created it, something that makes me look more than once. I don't do art. I practice techniques. I'll know it when I do something that is artistic, if ever I do. But I'm not ashambed to be a hobbyist till then. But that's just me.