Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: +++ DG#060 +++ Fine Tuning Spotlights +++ Page 1 ...

geep opened this issue on Jan 18, 2004 ยท 96 posts

Riddokun posted Mon, 19 January 2004 at 6:12 PM

while i try to swallow all the new things in this tutorial (oh god, angle strat/angle end...), i just wanted to put down something that i wanted to post on previous light tutorial, but you said the class continues here... I write again some question I asked, and also to tell those I found answer during your explanations in the class. 1) total value of lights preventing a shadow to appear because sum is above the maximum possible. How can it be bypass using a global illumination set (for general purpose such as ligthing/improving a texture) yet having a visible direct ligthing too, that would make one true shadow. I still did not understood if it was possible and how. 2) Recommanded colors of lights to match with texures such as skin and preserve them or improve their look in render. I hope you can drop a few words about it too. I know it can have something to do with the color schema you displayed, with the interlinked primary colors giving out other colors (magenta, yellow, etc, and pure white at the intersection of all three); but doing so, therer is a risk of odd colors on the edges of a character (primary colors) and/or overexposed centerof the character... if you can drop a few hints and warnings about color combinations of lights regarding textures... would be nice 3) what is the "shadow camera" for ? I see many lightset making those shadow cam blossoming in my camera list. What the point ? 4) About intensity over 100% well page 8 answered part of my question, but would there be a risk that the character ligthed by the 200% intensity spot/light may look overexposed ? Anyway it partly answered it, but of course you then made me wonder about the effects of spotlight setting. Infinite lights usually not leave the scene to be so dark... In your example you had to blind neffie with 200% intensity light, but i guess a better compromise (lighting, dark etc) can be achieve with the special dial settings of a spotlights (dials that do not appear in infinite ones) such as starting/ending angle.. But i am sure you have an idea in mind and planned to explain this soon :) ------------- And now a new question, because the tutorial gone further and now we are about spot lights: a not too hard one: We saw that spotlight coudl change its 3 sizes (x, y and z) because for example, being parented to a prop/figure that would change its own sizes... And that it changes the behavior of the light... How exactly each size parameter affect the light the spot does cast ? I mean you have your spot positionned where you want in your scene, aiming in the direction you want. What will the x, y and z sizes of the spot change ? A harder one :( You noticed there was a new need for many people here to use again the (before) underlooked cartoon /w line mode. I saw that peomle dealing with stuff to be used with such mode made special light sets, and that the lines or the two color tone shades in this mode would be totally a waste using most standard/traditionnal lightsets desined for texured renders. I also saw that people in this used black or very dark gray spot/infinit lights that were lighting only edges or so of the figure. Can you maybe make a separate tutorial or a part devoted to the behavior of lights within cartoon and cartoon /w line modes ? and how it may be connected to material room settings (base/highlight/ambiant/reflection colors as we only are in p4 for now ) ??? I know it seems a complex and maybe offtopic matter but, well could you consider it ?