Forum: Bryce

Subject: WIP ... suggestions requested

rickymaveety opened this issue on Jan 22, 2004 ยท 25 posts

scarp posted Fri, 23 January 2004 at 3:12 PM

Ok, well, at this point it looks sort of postcard-ish. You know "We were travelling around Cornwall and found this lovely castle" type thing. I know how you feel, though, you go through agonizing hours of modeling something ond you're going to bloddy well show every virtual inch of it! Point of view is everything... is it viewed from the ground? are you viewing it from a hill? another tower? the back of a passing dragon? Who's looking at it and why? If you have a dragon attacking (or maybe just checking out) the castle, consider the pov of a startled inhabitant of the castle. Landscape wise, most castles aren't built in the middle of nowhere, they are built in the center of their area of commerce, save possibly Mont St. Michel, unless your castle is just a hideout for a bunch of royals. or your castle could be on a floating island, or in the middle of a lake ringed with mountains... Whenever I make an image, I ask myself "what's going on here?" Sometimes there's a clear answer, sometimes not. (as an aside, my favorite thing to do is suggest something is going on and leave it up to the viewer to add their own interepretation. You may find the best images do this. end of art lesson). The hardest part is when you make something nice, and your castle is nice, to get over its preciousness. If you want to make the image its best, pretend your castle is a freebie prop... ;) a really NICE freebie prop! Have fun!