Forum: Bryce

Subject: Too much freebies

bazze opened this issue on Jan 29, 2004 ยท 67 posts

rickymaveety posted Thu, 29 January 2004 at 11:52 AM

Oh goodie, another debate. I'm a pretty good Bryce modeler. Actually, really good when it comes to buildings or objects, but I can't do sharks and seaweed worth squat, so I picked them up as freebies for this month's challenge. Absolutely, I will use freebies (or models I purchased for that matter), but generally to highlight something I built in Bryce. That's because I like to model in Bryce. OK ... that's the set up ... here's my point ... I'm not much of an artist. I have a LOT to learn about setting up a scene and making it POP. And, therefore, I have to say I would hate to see something of mine picked over something that was a better work of art simply because I used less or no freebies on it and mine was maybe ok, but the other was really great. That would suck all the joy and meaning out of being picked. Let's take this month's challenge as an illustration. I like my piece, I really do, and I worked hard on it and very hard on my sub .... but have you SEEN Agent Smith's piece? Yes it has an imported model and yes, he did postwork on it .... BUT REALLY people, that is a jaw dropping friggin fantastic work of ART. Compare his to mine and it's the difference between a Rembrandt and a really nice doodle. To judge mine superior because I made the paper and pencil with my own two hands would just be wrong.

Could be worse, could be raining.