Forum: Bryce

Subject: Too much freebies

bazze opened this issue on Jan 29, 2004 ยท 67 posts

Zhann posted Thu, 29 January 2004 at 7:15 PM

I believe if you are a judge at the Bryce Forum Gallery you should be judging the artwork itself, on it's own merit, the composition, use of light and shadows, and color, does it evoke a strong emotion, is the perspective unusual, did the artist make use of his subject matter well, not on how many freebies were contained within it...But you are entitled to judge how you see fit, I don't agree with you but that's just my opinion... Having been a judge on several juried artshows I may have a different perspective on what you should be looking for when judging artwork, whether someone else's or your own. Imported models, Poser figures, freebies, these are -tools-, just like the program the final render is done in. It's a tool, not the art... Art in itself is not a 'pure' thing, there are paints, and sculpture, pottery, collages, assemblages, welding, all kinds of tools to create art. I would not penalize someone who is not good at modeling, or Poser, because they use a freebie model or figure, that in effect is saying they are not 'creating' the final artwork, and that is not true.... Example: would you say that a Fabrege Egg was not art because of the use of other things, the pearls come from oysters, enamels from a paint company, filgree from a goldsmith, other parts from other sources, but these are just that, parts, until an artist has the inspiration and -creates- the egg, and then, all those parts become a whole, a thing of beauty... When judging look beyond the -parts- to the -art-....:)

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...