Forum: OT

Subject: Art is in the eye of the creator. (an open letter to critics)

voodoomessiah opened this issue on Feb 06, 2004 ยท 59 posts

alamanos posted Fri, 06 February 2004 at 3:05 PM

I think most of the images in the art gallery are just point an click art.. including the stuff I have posted. I'm not any better.. It's sort of like giving a crayon to a two year old and asking them to draw.. sure what a two year will produce is technically art.. but with out much thought or skill behind it. most of the time it will be just junk. That's pretty much what we have here. Most of the stuff in the gallery is just plain awful, there's no thought or skill. just point click pose and render.. I'm not saying that all point click pose and render stuff is junk.. some people can provoke emotion.. with a quick work.. most can't... I really think you need to master the tools of the trade... lighting.. shadows.. poses.. expressions... etc.. before you can call it art... because if you don't it just distracts from the message.. Example... I love to sing.. you don't have to be a singer to recognize the fact that I have a awful voice...it's obvious to anyone who listens to me.. I'm all over the place.. I'm flat and I can't sing on key. so no matter how beautiful the message in the song might be.. my lack of technique has ruins the song.. with a few lessons and some vocal coaching.. I'm sure I could improve... will I be a great singer?.. probably never.. same applies with most of the artists in renderosity. I'm sure if they learned some techniques... read a few books on lighting..etc... they would be better 3d artists... and there fore less annoying to look at..