Forum: OT

Subject: Art is in the eye of the creator. (an open letter to critics)

voodoomessiah opened this issue on Feb 06, 2004 ยท 59 posts

SamTherapy posted Fri, 06 February 2004 at 6:22 PM

"I have just decided not to send in any of my renderings...." Don't do that. Post your work. Who gives a shit if somebody doesn't like it? If you like the work you turn out, that should be shield enough against the slings and arrows. :) I can tell you from personal experience that this place is stuffed full of good people who will offer great advice. FWIW, I don't think the gent who inspired this thread is trolling or spamming. I think he's way off beam on a lot of things, but hey, it's a big world out there and there's room enough for all kinds of opinions. The question you should be asking yourself is "Do I believe in myself enough to want to create images for others to see?" You should be answering "yes" to that, by the way. :) It's like stepping on stage; you know for a damn fact there are people there who will love you, there are others who hate your guts, and yet others who really couldn't care less. This place is not just about ego stroking and a nice warm room to hang up your pictures. It's more like being a pavement artist. You'll get some passers by who will stop, admire your skills, maybe say something nice and then move on. If you're lucky they may look out for you later. Others will never even stop to glance at the hard work you put into your pictures. And there will always be the ones who will try to belittle you, tear you down and ridicule your work. So what? Why did you make your images anyhow? Did you do it to be loved? To seek approval? Or do you do it because it seemed like a good idea at the time? I hope to hell it was the latter, because that's the only way you can make anything resembling art. Render, post and be damned (to paraphrase). It's the only way to fly.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery