Forum: OT

Subject: Art is in the eye of the creator. (an open letter to critics)

voodoomessiah opened this issue on Feb 06, 2004 ยท 59 posts

JettBoy posted Sat, 07 February 2004 at 7:37 AM

Yawwwwn...heard it all before, kids.

While there is some truth to the idea that "art is in the eye of the creator", the simple fact is that not everybody here is blessed with the lofty aspirations of being an Artiste; the majority (at least based on what I've seen the past few years) are geeky, horny 15-year-olds with little or no interest in "art" but lots of prurient interest in tits. Poser is the perfect tool for exploring all of their adolescent masturbation fantasies and, big ol' bonus, they can show off their creations to a virtual 'room' full of like-minded peers.

This debate has raged on as long as I've been posting stuff around here, and I'm still not convinced that a majority of Poser Artists (talk about an oxymoron) create anything remotely resembling 'art'...it's about 8590% leering, Beavis-and-Buttheadesque rubbish that in years past would've been found tucked between the mattress and box springs where Mom wouldn't find it. To attach some bullshit "it's art if you want it to be, man" nobility to this stuff is a disservice to any real artists who still post here.

Contrary to Renderosity's silly TOS, criticism, even and especially negative criticism, is as valuable a learning tool for an artist as education and experimentation. Not all criticism an artist receives is going to be positive, warm, fuzzy or even constructive. By denying these aspiring 'artists' true and honest critique, Renderosity is condemning them to abject mediocrity.