Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: So How do you explain what we do in Poser to Muggles?

PheonixRising opened this issue on Feb 09, 2004 ยท 52 posts

JohnRender posted Tue, 10 February 2004 at 8:43 AM

{I just ask if they've seen the movie Simone- if not go see it. } I loved that movie! It was a hilarious comedy! I couldn't stop laughing. For anyone who hasn't seen it, the movie is about a computer-illiterate director (Al Pacino) who gets a computer "actress" from a techie guy. He (Al Pacino) then inserts the computer actress into his movies, basically by sliding her into the scene. Now, if you've seen any part of the making of The Two Towers or Return of the King (or even Star Wars: Episode I), you'll leanr how complex it is to actually add a CGI character to a scene. During shooting, the computer artists take tons of measurements to calculate lighting and shadows. (I doubt this was done on the Simone "movies".) Then the computer artists have to accurately model textures, lighting, wind, and other atmospheric effects on the character. And in the case of Simone, hair blowing in the wind. Suffice to say that only TWO effects companies (with teams of people) have been able to succesffuly make us believe that a CGI character was in the entire movie. So, it seriously strains credibility to believe that one person could make an entire, full-length movie using a CGI character. But I'm getting off topic. What do I say when a Muggle asks me what I do? I've never met a Muggle, so I guess I wouldn't know what to say.