Forum: Photography

Subject: Anyone here used both the canon 300d and 10d?

sabretalon opened this issue on Feb 10, 2004 ยท 15 posts

DHolman posted Wed, 11 February 2004 at 6:52 AM

Good advice from both 'chelle and Tom. I have the 10D. I've looked at the 300D/Digital Rebel in the store. I wouldn't trade my 10D for it, but that's me. I couldn't live with the missing functions/parameters that the 300D has or the light, smaller body (the 300D felt too small to be comfortable to me, even with the optional grip). Raven is also right about there not being any newer technology in the 300D. Much of the price difference seems to be in the change from the metal magnesium-alloy body to plastic, the switch from a pentaprism to penta-mirror viewer, and in the sensor. Canon says there is no difference between the 10D and 300D CMOS array, that they just learned to make it cheaper. Some people argue that there is a slight quality difference in 10D and 300D sensor. I've seen shots from the 300D and while I can't say "Yup ... it's 100% like the 10D" or "Nope ... there's a quality loss" I can say that they are top notch quality and very much at the top of the list in quality compared to other digital cameras. As for the 10D's replacement. I dunno, it doesn't feel right. 10D is the hottest camera on the planet right now. They've just stole Nikon's D2H thunder with the incredible EOS 1D Mark II. They have the 300D/Digital Rebel to take the sub $1000 DSLR market. The 10D for the sub-$2000 Market. Makes me think they're going to go one of two places next. A camera above the EOS 1DS that takes a shot at the super high res cameras like the Kodak 14N or a DSLR that's between the 1D Mark II and 1DS price point (around $5000 or so) - or maybe a 1DS Mark II with faster buffer and increas from 11megapixel to 15 or 16mp. shrug -=>Donald