Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: To those without problems

Ultrop opened this issue on Feb 25, 2004 ยท 27 posts

sandoppe posted Thu, 26 February 2004 at 1:09 AM

1.7ghz, PIV Noblis with 1G DDR Ram, running XP Pro, SR1. One 40G Matxtor harddrive. Peripherals: an old USB 8200 series hp cd-writer, a 2.4ghz Linksys Wireless Access Point Router and DSL modem. NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200 video card with 32mb ram, USB photo card reader, Liteon CD Rom, a standard floppy drive, Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Explorer, an ancient IBM keyboard, a 17" ViewSonic monitor, Intel Pro/100 VE Network card, A gneric USB hub, HP deskjet 960c USB printer. Sound card is built onto the motherboard. 350 Watt power supply. Other software besides Poser 5 SR3: PsP 8, Vue d'Esprit 4.2, Bryce 4, jpg optimizer, IE 6+, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Reader, Acrobat Reader, P3doExplorer, Animation Shop 3, Microsoft Front Page, WSFtp, Norton Security 2004, Stuffit 7.0, 3dWin4, Injection Pose Builder, Front Look and Swish. I don't run a lot of junk on the task bar, but do have an active desktop and some of the other XP bells and whistles. I have 4 runtimes. My entire Poser folder is 8.29 Gig. One runtime is strictly for the Millennium People and for the special files needed for injection of V3, M3 and RDNA Microcosm. I also keep all textures in this runtime. The other three are for: 1) Sets and other items needed to create an environment; 2) Fantasy characters and 3) Animals and Toonimals. I have one NTFS partition for everything. I clean the drive weekly and defrag as needed (I run the defrag monthly to check fragment status). I manually download updates from Microsoft, only after reading to see what they do. I install only the ones I need. I manually check for Norton Security (firewall and antivirus) every day. Like many others, I've had a few issues with Poser, but understand what makes it crash well enough to avoid doing those things :) I don't do really complex scenes with tons of characters......the max has been 4 characters, 5 props and maybe 5 environment figures. With the exception of Neftis hair, I can render without any problem in firefly. I render Neftis hair with the P4 renderer. There have been a couple of times when I've gotten the little yellow triangle warning from XP telling me that it was freeing up resources so I could finish my render (a very nice feature of XP Pro, I might add!). I have always been able to finish a render. The only crashes I've had have involved Poser's inability to find a texture or .bum file. I recently got rid of all the .bum files, downloaded and ran Correct Reference. I assume that will take care of that problem. It also increased the figure and prop loading considerably! The other thing that caused crashes was trying to load multiple light sets. I downloaded a python script by agiel called "reset lights" and got rid of that problem! The only other crashes I've experienced were caused when trying to open a .pz3 scene file after removing or moving some of the figures or props that were used in that scene and when trying to cancel a rendering process in a new window and in production mode. Solution for these: I quit doing what causes the problem! :) My only current beef is that Poser 5 is still way slower than any software program has a right to be! :) And from what I've read, I'm not sure SR4 has improved that much!