Forum: Community Center

Subject: Question about ToS violations and bannings

spinner opened this issue on Mar 05, 2004 ยท 87 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Sun, 07 March 2004 at 2:28 PM

Sure, I'll get involved in certain debates -- if it's a topic that I feel strongly about. And if I think that there is some "good" that I can actually accomplish through the debate.

However, 99% of on-line disagreements are a complete waste of time. Except, perhaps, for the entertainment value which one derives from the act of argument itself. Or the pleasure which one derives from voyuerism, for lurkers.

As for the central topic of this thread -- I would say that it's up to the admins. This is their site, and they can run it in any manner which they choose.

And one is free to attempt to persuade the admins to wipe out one's past record.

However, as in so many other cases, I don't think that this is an issue which allows for a "one size fits all" type of solution.

Think of the matter this way: one individual with "two black marks" can make a genuine effort to redeem themselves -- and thus, they might deserve a second chance. Whereas another individual with "two black marks" might be hovering on the border at all times, just waiting for the chance to strike again. Such a person should likely not have their record cleared. They are too likely to pull the same type of stunt again.

The admins should allow themselves some room for individual judgements on a case-by-case basis. The admins need to have some leeway for discretionary actions.

But I would say this: I don't think that the bad marks on one's record should be totally without appeal. I believe that one should be able to PRIVATELY make one's case for leniency. With the emphasis of understanding placed upon the word "private". A private appeal. Without a public scrap.

Not that I am criticizing spinner's handling of this issue: I am not. I believe that he has brought this subject up in a perfectly reasonable manner.

And, unlike some others, I believe that the admins here will come up with a workable solution. They almost always do.

It's just that one can never please everyone. Nor should one try to. It's a wasted effort.

Something To Do At 3:00AM