Forum: Community Center

Subject: No Acountability? HA!

DRIV opened this issue on Sep 19, 2000 ยท 12 posts

STORM3 posted Tue, 19 September 2000 at 7:50 PM

They probably won't PJF but someone they share with or sell the information to might. This is not an attack on anyone but a general point on database ethics and business practice on the net. To my mind there seems to be little or no control and almost no accountability over how information gets passed around (moreoften sold) between net operators/companies. Indeed some apparently law abiding companies have gone well beyond sharp practice and entered the realms of what is possibly criminal activity in gathering and selling net collected information. Just look at the whole Aureate spy software scandal a few months ago, and there are others and this is merely the tip of a very large iceberg. Just a few weeks ago one of my ISP's - run by Ireland's Telecom company (Eircom)- got hacked despite the latest multiple firewall and security protection, and full information on at least 30,000 of their customer's accounts got stolen (including mine). Interestingly the hacking was aimed at the subscription customer database and not the free users. Eircom had to wipe the database and make all of their customers apply for new log-on passwords, site passwords etc. etc. as a security measure. Some of the thinking on the above is that it was a commercially paid for hack, a contract job, by another business operation. So when net business spokespersons make public assurances about their ethics and high standards please excuse me if I remain highly sceptical. I have seen too many recent examples of the opposite being true. And given the events of the last few days my scepticism has grown. (reposted this after cleaning up the typo's) STORM