Forum: Community Center

Subject: SELLING OUR INFO!!!!!

DRIV opened this issue on Sep 19, 2000 ยท 15 posts

Dreamspinner posted Tue, 19 September 2000 at 9:40 PM

Zygote and Curious Labs already have my information. I have purchased quite a few things from Zygote. If Curious Labs did not get my information from Metacreations, especially about my registration of my Poser Program, then I will be urked to find I will not be able to purchase Poser 5 at a lower price for those who were registered users. Since both companies already had my information, then the 'sale' of it by either Jack or EdgeNet was not something that bothered me. However, I do believe that I should be able to limit to whom my information is given. Selling information on-line might be a reality, but it is questionably legal. And I do not give it out unwisely. There are many times you go for a free download somewhere and they want all this information. These places get my P.O.Box for an address, and a line of ***** for my phone number. If I am buying something online, that is another matter, and again, I cannot control what that company does with the information from my purchase. I believe that I heard that there was legal debate about passing laws detailing what information could be taken over the Internet and what could be done with it. How effective those laws might end up being is anyone's guess. I do not know EdgeNet and I do not know what advertisers they would be selling my information to. Jack and Ed would have been selling information to Zygote and Curious Labs, who I've already stated have my information. Beyond those two, I would be deleting spam mail if I receive it. I had to renew my drivers license recently and with it came a little slip of paper "Request to Restrict Disclosure of Personal Information From Driver License Record". If you did not want you personal information being given for marketing surveys, ect, you could request that it be witheld. This is from the Texas Department of Public Safety. Of course, I filled this out. Liz Pope Dreamspinner Inc.