Forum: Community Center

Subject: EdgeNet Responds

tim opened this issue on Sep 17, 2000 ยท 60 posts

Crescent posted Wed, 20 September 2000 at 3:54 PM

Tim, Thanks for posting your point of view. I don't fully agree with it, but at least it shows that you are concerned about this site. I'm sure that this will go unheeded, but I wish that people would state their views without the petty name calling and sniping. All it does is make you look like an idiot. (This applies to certain members on both sides of the debate.) Edgenet is a business and needs to make money to stay in business. Although what they display is our artwork, they pay for the server space and bandwidth for us to display our work. Should a printing company be expected to print an artist's work for free? This site is good publicity for Edgenet to sell their software, showcasing its abilities with thousands of software testers working for free. The content of the site, as well as the membership, does not belong to Edgenet, and selling it (or using the content and membership to up the selling price) seems unethical. Immediately banning webmasters due to potential conflicts of interest is a standard business procedure. Disgruntled people sometimes savage company web sites as a way to get back at a company before they go. In IT, an employee who gives 2 weeks notice may find themselves immediately walked out the door because management is afraid of what they might do in the meantime, especially if they are going to work for a competitor. Jack and Ed have always behaved honorably and their actions as moderators have greatly increased the number of contributors to this site. Their inclusive nature brought back some people who initially quit the forum. Ed's post above shows class through this Jerry Springer flare up. The abrupt cut-off seems rude considering their outstanding efforts. Keep an open mind. Wait and see what happens. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face, or anyone else's nose, for that matter.