Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: poser is a valid tool rant {please dont read if you are sick of such rants}

DarkElegance opened this issue on Mar 10, 2004 ยท 59 posts

ShadowWind posted Sat, 13 March 2004 at 8:07 PM

Art is not judged on:

The ability to animate!
What method by which the image was created!
How long it took!
How much you got paid for it!
Whether a professional FX house finds it useful!

Art is vision plain and simple. You either have it or you don't, and those that do, will have that artistic talent show through no matter what medium or what skill level they are on in the media of their choice.

Photography is an excellent example of vision as art. I've seen hundreds of pictures of Cinderella Castle at Disney World and they range from the bad, to the standard stock tourist shots (grandma in front of the castle), but then there are some who can capture the magic and enchantment in a way that is not seen before. It is these people who are the photographic artists.

Art to me is using what is available to you in the most creative and emotional way you can. As in the end, it's not the method that you use that the public will care about, it's what is said in the image, and whether it speaks to them. BTW, Michael Whelan who is one of the premier fantasy artists uses a wide assortment of 3D applications in his work. Do you want to tell the book companies and people who hire him, he's not an artist because he no longer sees a reason to paint from scratch?

Professional FX houses and movie companies are not the only market for imagery, but it seems that is all that the snobs of 3D seem to concentrate on. There are many different venues, including ad copy, illustrative work, book covers, prints and posters, and more. I've sold some pieces for corporate christmas cards, T-Shirts, and prints. Does that mean I'm not an artist, because I used 3D?

As for the same thing seen in a lot of places, do you really think Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame is not an artist? After all, Elijah Wood has been in a lot of movies, as well as many of the other actors and actresses. Isn't he recycling the same acting style as other movies? No, because he's able to put them into a world where they are believable in their parts. Did Peter Jackson build the sets? Nope, not that either. He merely directed the action and in doing so, created an amazing piece of art.

Actually I don't consider myself an artist, though I've been told I am. I tend to think of myself as more of a storyteller than anything, an entertainer of sorts that strives to evoke emotion in my work, as many do here. That Poser picture above in the example against the acrylic painting does that. It causes suspense, wonder of what is lurking in the shadows. Technique and craftsmanship come with learning, but the ability to create such emotion is a talent in itself, and to me where art lies...

ShadowWind