Forum: OT

Subject: Bombs in Madrid

Estruch opened this issue on Mar 14, 2004 ยท 77 posts

Barbarellany posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 12:10 PM

First, I grieves me to witness the terrible loss of the Spanish people. I also personally apologise on behalf of stupid official US comments along the lines of " Now they see that all europe must get on the US anti-terrorist wagon." Yes, terrorism effects us all and something must be done to stop it, but the US way is not the only way. Secondly, It seems to me the language issue is exactly the type of thing that gives rise to hate and the attacks. This is an international community even though the site is based in the US. I was able to get the gist of what was written and oddly enough, I could have used a translator from the web if I was really lost. Yes, it is deemed impolite to speak a different language in a conversation that most of the speakers are speaking one language, but Marvlin... Do you speak the native language when you go to non English speaking countries or do you expect them to speak your language? When you go to a non english website to you participate in their language? This thread was about the tragedy in Spain. I'm sorry it became a trivial rehash of speak "English in America".