Forum: Community Center

Subject: Last Post - An Apology

DRIV opened this issue on Sep 19, 2000 ยท 34 posts

bast posted Thu, 21 September 2000 at 1:20 AM

For version 2, it has a STEEP learning curve. That being said to be steep by comparison of what you may be used to in Poser, or Bryce. However if you are used to 3d Studio Max, it is easier. The modeling is done largely with splines, and most of the libraries take a bit of coding knowledge to create ones own unique plant models, but it comes with whole greenhouses and forests and oceans of plants. It also comes with a vast collection of ready to use splines for land bases, and ready to modify and use scenes. That was version 2 :) The good news is this about version 3. It has an EASIER to use interface, no coding is necessary and now one can visually drag and drop a tree branch onto a tree truck, etc. The interface is more truly like 3d studio max, at it's depth, that is in how it functions, not just in choice of icons, then the disappointment to learn those icons did something different. I am told the learning curve will be MUCH easier on version 3. Now if I understood Alexander and his team correctly in some of their posts, if one buys in on version 2 at this late date, the upgrade to version 3 is free. But be sure to confirm that first, ok? One more thing bout those boys, they are the friendliest nicest guys I have ever met. If you need help, they move sooooo fast to help, no matter how silly what you are asking on their forums may sound, or by email if you email. Once I dropped my plant library cd in the floor, and rolled over it with my chair and broke it :( I almost wept. I could just imagine how much it would cost me to pay to get another, beings as how the whole kit and kaboodle cost me around 800.00 (pro version). And shipping costs from Russia, too... mother of god. Ok so I send Alexander an email asking to be told how to get a replacement, and sending my registration information, and the man writes back asking for a snail mail addy, I send that, then inside less than 4 days I got the cd, packed up out of Russia and sent to me :) No charge, not even for shipping. Bless them. The user base is small on their forums. Unlike here, no one speaks harshly, most ask a question, most get in, get out, no one just converses for hours on end and hangs out. But I suppose production deadlines prohibit. However when one posts one always gets a response, usually several, answering ones query. This program has more in common with 3d Studio Max, and Lightwave btw, than it has in common with say Bryce. It is NOT pretty to look at, no artistry in the interface, Kai Krause was not on the GUI team ;P But nothing beats it, in my opinion :)