Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: Smart parenting and posing involving both hands

kuroyume0161 opened this issue on Mar 12, 2004 ยท 14 posts

lesbentley posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 10:12 PM

"There is no foreseeable means to do steps 8,9,10 using Poses since the targets are all 'BODY' and differentiating the numbering (i.e. :1, :2, etc) has no effect"

All that follows applies to Poser 4.0.3.126.

You should be able to make a pose file differentiate between diffrent "BODY" actors if you edit the cr2s to give the BODY actors difrent names (but this is just theory), i.e.

BODY
BODYA
BODYB
BODYC

I have not been able to construct a working pose file (so far) that can inkyParent the left hand to a "sword" figure, smartparent the swords BODY to the right hand and and pose everything corectly, but I can set up a pose file that poses both the sword and human figures and can inkyParent the left hand to a sword. That only leaves the step of parenting the sword to the right hand to be accomplished manually. Here is the code I used for the parenting (it's similar to the code used for the prop sword), note that the actor numbers (:#) have been left out as they don't seem necessary.

{<br></br><br></br>version<br></br>       {<br></br>   number 4.01<br></br> }<br></br><br></br>actor Hilt<br></br> {<br></br><br></br>       }<br></br><br></br>actor lHand<br></br>        {<br></br>   parent Hilt<br></br> inkyParent Hilt<br></br>     }<br></br>figure <br></br>        {<br></br>   addChild    lHand<br></br>                    Hilt<br></br><br></br>   inkyChain     leftArm  <br></br>             {<br></br>           on<br></br>          }<br></br>   }<br></br>#---Sword pose starts below this line---<br></br>actor SwordBODY<br></br>    {<br></br>   channels<br></br>            {<br></br>           //etc, etc.

However it seems to me that using a figure for the "sword" rather than a prop introduces unnecessary complications.

Another point, it seems that a normal "parent" relationship can't be applied via a pose file, but "inkyParent" and "smartparent" do work via a pose file. There is however a bug in Poser 4 (and perhaps other versions), if you smartparent a FIGURE to another figure then deleting either figure from the document will cause Poser to crash.