Forum: Animation

Subject: A few animations for your consideration ...

PowerRoy opened this issue on Mar 29, 2004 ยท 11 posts

PowerRoy posted Thu, 08 April 2004 at 9:38 AM

Hiya Brain, I've certainly interviewed and made hire / not-hire decisions about a number of artists over the years. I'll give you my 2-cents-worth, but keep in mind that a whole slew of people in this world may not agree with me ... 1.) Do good quality work and present it well ... I don't give a hoot about college degrees. I care about the quality and quantity of an individual's work. In professions like accounting, that degree says you know what you're doing ... and in a profession like that, how could anyone ever really "show" you that they know their stuff? But in the graphics / media field, I expect to be SHOWN that an individual knows what they're doing. A good strong porfolio will impress me far more than all the degrees anyone throws out. I've met plenty of kids who went to the local "graphic arts" academy and got a degree, but who really had no talent whatsoever. Make good, complete, clean, and professional looking work, and present it in a nice, organized portfolio. That get's my attention and interest more than anything. 2.) Have a web site that actually works ... Web sites are a great way to show your work, and tell who you are. If you wanna work in the media field, you've just about gotta be able to produce a decent web site these days. It doesn't have to be fancy and "stylish", but it should be clean and easy to navigate, show your work well, and all the links gotta work. Nothing bugs me like someone applying for a job that involves website creation, and then showing me their own website that only half-works. I want people who pay attention to details. Make sure your web site works like it should (and that it includes your resume and contact information, too). 3.) Be professional and have a thick skin ... Sooner or later, someone is gonna ask you to change or modify something you've made -- don't be overly sensitive about it. Commercial artists get paid for satisfying their customers, not expressing a bunch of "high-brow-Artiste" opinions. Art directors have been known to "critique" people's work during an interview, to see how they handle it. Best not to make excuses for things (but O.K. to provide additional details if it helps explain why you did what you did). Accept positive criticism and suggestions gracefully, and don't get all defensive (the art director doesn't want to have to argue with you every time he wants something changed). And always, always, always keep in mind ... that just because your work may not appeal to one employer, does NOT mean your work isn't good -- it just means that you haven't found the best employer for YOUR skills just yet! 4.) Be hungry ... Like any other profession, if you're gonna be good at what you do, you've gotta WANT to do it. Show your prospective employer that you're serious about your career and doing what you do, because you love doing it. And you do that by showing work you've done just for your own benefit, enjoyment, and self-education. The best graphic artists don't really "create" for the money -- they do it because they're ... compelled to -- they almost HAVE to do it, for their own peace-of-mind. Include some good, original pieces in your portfolio that you did ... just because YOU wanted to do them. That's how I'll know that you want to learn and grow and improve and build a real career. So, there ya go. I guess the short version is ... do good quality work, display it well, demonstrate that you WANT to do that type of work because you really like it, and act like a mature professional who can accept direction and work well with others. And ... don't give up. Art is about as "subjective" as anything gets. Some people may not like your work, and others will love it. Keep looking and trying until you find an employer that relates to what you do (it's a big world out there). Artists tend to be a little sensitive, and it is easy to get "down" when you meet with rejection. Don't let it keep you down. If you've got talent, and desire, and energy, and smarts ... you'll get what you want in the long run. You won't be able to miss, in fact. And in the meantime, ... keep learning and trying and creating and getting better and better at what you like to do. You won't regret it. There are days when I just can't believe that I actually get paid for having all the fun I have!! It is a great way to make a living!