Forum: Community Center

Subject: Webring Questions

simdragon opened this issue on Apr 09, 2004 ยท 25 posts

simdragon posted Sun, 11 April 2004 at 12:29 AM

Attached Link: Where has this site gone?

Good on you both for having valid code! My site, does too. Now, though...Creations has to resign up....why haven't the sites that are no longer viable been removed from the webring? If they aren't there any longer, don't have the webring code or a link to R'osity available, even if they do have pages saying they are closed, how can they be generating referrals?! For example, InDepth Arts, one of the top 15 listed over in the sidebar...when you click on it, comes up page not found. It has every time I've tried it over the past 3-4 days. Either they haven't updated their webring info, or the site's gone. But it's still up there in the top15. I'm not picking on anyone, just relating what I've found. I've gone through 285 sites so far, and 33% have been gone or don't display the proper webcode. Some do have links to Renderosity...but sometimes, it's their own R'osity Homepage, or their store. The webring doesn't work right for everyone, if 8 of the top 15 only have a link to R'osity with their referral code in it. That doesn't give anyone the option to surf the webring to look at other sites, and that's what a webring is supposed to be for...to spread the hits around to all of the sites in the ring. They can't be spread if webring members don't display the proper code! Every time someone decides to surf the webring, 33% of the time, they're going to hit a dead end every 3 sites or so. If, IF it holds out as I go along, checking sites, and stays at 33% being gone, or not displaying the proper code. Those sites hurt the webring, and the webring members who DO display the webring code as they should. In other words, not displaying the proper webring code isn't fair to everyone who does, so that surfers can cruise on via the webring to check out different sites. I'm going back to work on checking sites, so I can have a full and complete list for the mods, and then maybe the webring list will get it's overdue weeding out. I'll post the list on a page on my own website so anyone can check for their site....some just probably need to update their webring info, like 4F-Creations! :)