Forum: Bryce

Subject: Bryce crashes my computer faster than a ornlu render on roids...

draculaz opened this issue on Apr 15, 2004 ยท 33 posts

pauljs75 posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 12:16 PM

If Bryce crashes the computer 1/3 to midway in a render then it's probably this. If not, then you can disregard the post as it's something else... Bryce likes processor cycles doesn't it? What does heavy processor usage do to the processor? Hmmm... Yeah, it gets nice and hot. Doesn't it? What do some of the newer 'puters do when the processor gets too hot? They shutdown to protect themselves. Theres a few ways to fix this (mostly for desktops.) One is to adjust the processor temp limits/reduce clocking/or disable protect via BIOS (if it lets you.) (AMD seems to run a bit hotter, but they're also a bit more tolerant of heat too.) The other is to get more cooling fans. One more I can think of is to have a case w/ high airflow, or remove the cover and have a desk fan cool the thing while rendering. And perhaps moving to a cooler room is the last option. Other things I could think of with a laptop are power management issues (cycles down if "inactive") and a bad cell if on battery power (battery shows up fine on power meter, but doesn't last worth **** because of the bad cell.) Might also want to check the memory too, sometimes they can get loose if not plugged in all the way.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.