Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Who wants a free TARDIS console?

Redfern opened this issue on Jan 06, 2004 ยท 75 posts

Redfern posted Fri, 30 April 2004 at 8:50 AM

Concerning the trans-mapped version, I discovered why it experienced an odd mapping anomaly. I had applied a simple planar UV so the transparency map would properly align with the roundels. However, I noticed the side faces were rendering totally invisible. While pillars would hide this effect, it bothered me that it existed at all. Last night I discovered why. It seems my map gained a single pixel wide, dark gray border around the map. Since I used planar mapping, the entire surface of the side faces were covered with the deep gray. Had I applied the image as a standard map, I would have noticed it sooner. After I painted the border white, saved the map again, and reapplied it as a transparency filter, the side faces rendered solid. A couple of posts earlier, I stated my reluctance to use trans-maps to display the recessed interior of the roundels. Part of that concern revolved around this (now solved) rendering issue. Neither were the render times that much slower. I just realized one distinct advantage beyond an orderly mesh. Remember the secondary console room with the Victorian wood finished decor? Those roundels were not deeply recessed. They actually had moldings raised above the surface of the surrounding wall. My trans-mapped version also has similarly raised edges to hide the "blurred" effect created by the trans-map. But suppose I remove the trans-map and apply a wood pattern to the normal texture parameter? Viola! Instant series 15 secondary console room! Shoot! I could, in theory create a variety of trans-maps alternatively revealing and hiding different patterns of roundels! Silly me, a customizable solution was staring me in my ugly mug all along! At this time, I'm reversing my assessment stated within my previous post. A trans-mapped version of the walls appears the better solution. Hopefully I can create some servicable props this weekend. Sincerely, Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!